Replication (different OS-es and IDS versions )
Wojtas
2004-08-01 14:56:26 UTC
Hello,

I have 2 IDS 7.3/Uniware servers working with replication enabled.

I would like to migrate one of them to 9.4/AIX and then to enable
enterpsrise replication with the second IDS 7.3/Unixware server.

I could not find unequivocal answer in Informix Enterprise Replication
Guide.
Is it possible?
Could you give me please any advice?

Thanks a lot,
Wojtek
Madison Pruet
2004-08-01 22:29:56 UTC
We support ER replication between version such as 7.3 and 9.4. However, you
will not be able to take advantage of all of the new functions with mixed
levels.

Be aware, the 7.3 replication groups do not exist with 9.3/9.4 and the
9.3/9.4 replicate sets do not exist with 7.3.

Also, you need to set CDRSITES_7.3 on the 9.3 server (see the release notes
or contact tech support for details.)

M.P.
Wojtek
David E. Grove
2004-08-02 17:25:31 UTC
This response caused me to consider another replication question.

We are currently running IDS 9.21 on a Sun box running Solaris 8 We bought
a new Sun box, running Solaris 9, and will install IDS 9.4 on it. Then,
migrate the data.

I was under the impression that HDR would not work between IDS of different
versions (in this case, 9.21 and 9.4).

The fact that ER will work between 7.3 and 9.4 gives me a faint glimmer of
hope that maybe I was mistaken. Can HDR work between 9.21 and 9.4?

If so, I could a level 0 ontape backup and restore from the production 9.21
to a development 9.21 instance (on another machine), then dbimport to the
new 9.4 instance on the new machine, then initiate HDR between the new 9.4
and old production 9.21, and then finally lose the 9.21 instance (replace
with 9.4 if we want to continue the HDR). At the end of the day, the result
would be migration to new box and new version with no interruption of
service.

Hence, the question: Could it be that HDR works between 9.21 and 9.4,
despite my (possibly erroneous) understanding of the documentation which
indicates it won't work.

Thank you.

DG
Wojtek
Madison Pruet
2004-08-02 19:24:01 UTC
See below...
Post by David E. Grove
This response caused me to consider another replication question.
We are currently running IDS 9.21 on a Sun box running Solaris 8 We bought
a new Sun box, running Solaris 9, and will install IDS 9.4 on it. Then,
migrate the data.
I was under the impression that HDR would not work between IDS of different
versions (in this case, 9.21 and 9.4).
The fact that ER will work between 7.3 and 9.4 gives me a faint glimmer of
hope that maybe I was mistaken. Can HDR work between 9.21 and 9.4?
Nope. Since HDR works by placing the target into recovery, that means that
the 9.4 server would need to behave exactly like the 9.21 server, and would
need to have identical log records. Neither are true.
Post by David E. Grove
If so, I could a level 0 ontape backup and restore from the production 9.21
to a development 9.21 instance (on another machine), then dbimport to the
new 9.4 instance on the new machine, then initiate HDR between the new 9.4
and old production 9.21, and then finally lose the 9.21 instance (replace
with 9.4 if we want to continue the HDR). At the end of the day, the result
would be migration to new box and new version with no interruption of
service.
Hence, the question: Could it be that HDR works between 9.21 and 9.4,
despite my (possibly erroneous) understanding of the documentation which
indicates it won't work.
Nope HDR requires the same binary executable.
Post by David E. Grove
Thank you.
DG
Wojtek
David E. Grove
2004-08-02 19:38:28 UTC
Thank you for your fast, helpful response.

DG
Post by Madison Pruet
See below...
Post by David E. Grove
would be migration to new box and new version with no interruption of
service.
Hence, the question: Could it be that HDR works between 9.21 and 9.4,
despite my (possibly erroneous) understanding of the documentation which
indicates it won't work.
Nope HDR requires the same binary executable.
Post by David E. Grove
Thank you.
DG
Post by Madison Pruet
We support ER replication between version such as 7.3 and 9.4.
However,
Post by Madison Pruet
Post by David E. Grove
you
Wojtek
David E. Grove
2004-08-06 17:38:08 UTC
A belated follow-up, please.

OK, HDR between 9.21 and 9.4 is out of the question.

I have used HDR successfully in the past. I have never used ER, but have
two non-production machines to experiment with, so I can set up an ER "lab"
to figure it out.

Can ER function between 9.21 and 9.4?

Perhaps that could be used to migrate from 9.21 on an old box to 9.4 on a
new box with no or minimal downtime on the legacy box. (Could initially
populate the new platform by doing ontape backup and restore from production
to the 9.21 develpment box, followed by dbexport/dbimport from 9.21
development box to new 9.4 production box. Then ER between new 9.4 box and
old 9.21 box to resync everything. Then shoot the old box..)

DG
Post by Madison Pruet
See below...
Post by David E. Grove
would be migration to new box and new version with no interruption of
service.
Hence, the question: Could it be that HDR works between 9.21 and 9.4,
despite my (possibly erroneous) understanding of the documentation which
indicates it won't work.
Nope HDR requires the same binary executable.
Post by David E. Grove
Thank you.
DG
Post by Madison Pruet
We support ER replication between version such as 7.3 and 9.4.
However,
Post by Madison Pruet
Post by David E. Grove
you
Wojtek
Madison Pruet
2004-08-06 20:17:44 UTC
Yes - ER can function between 9.21 and 9.4.
Post by David E. Grove
A belated follow-up, please.
OK, HDR between 9.21 and 9.4 is out of the question.
I have used HDR successfully in the past. I have never used ER, but have
two non-production machines to experiment with, so I can set up an ER "lab"
to figure it out.
Can ER function between 9.21 and 9.4?
Perhaps that could be used to migrate from 9.21 on an old box to 9.4 on a
new box with no or minimal downtime on the legacy box. (Could initially
populate the new platform by doing ontape backup and restore from production
to the 9.21 develpment box, followed by dbexport/dbimport from 9.21
development box to new 9.4 production box. Then ER between new 9.4 box and
old 9.21 box to resync everything. Then shoot the old box..)
DG
Post by Madison Pruet
See below...
Post by David E. Grove
Post by David E. Grove
versions (in this case, 9.21 and 9.4).
The fact that ER will work between 7.3 and 9.4 gives me a faint
glimmer
Post by David E. Grove
of
Post by David E. Grove
would be migration to new box and new version with no interruption of
service.
Hence, the question: Could it be that HDR works between 9.21 and 9.4,
despite my (possibly erroneous) understanding of the documentation which
indicates it won't work.
Nope HDR requires the same binary executable.
Post by David E. Grove
Thank you.
DG
Post by Madison Pruet
We support ER replication between version such as 7.3 and 9.4.
However,
Post by Madison Pruet
Post by David E. Grove
you
Post by Madison Pruet
Wojtek
t***@gmail.com
2014-07-04 04:15:50 UTC
Can ER/HDR be setup in these environment?

Prod site:
IBM p740 - AIX 7.1 - Informix 12
DR site:
HP Proliant DL - RHEL 6 - Informix 12